Allport confirms entry to Rally of South Canterbury
Three-time Brian Green Property Group New Zealand Rally Championship winner Neil Allport will contest the Rally of South Canterbury in a fortnight.
Allport, who won the NZRC in 1986, 89 and 92, will line-up in his Ford Escort alongside son Richard for the fourth round of the championship.
It is not yet known if his Ford Fiesta R5 will be used at the same event.
Allport said he felt compelled to enter after sampling the spectacular roads in the region.
“When I went down and did the notes I spent two days there and I thought they were great roads and that I would love to do this event,” Allport said.
“Just after that I had someone who was interested in buying the Escort so I have really just been waiting for that to materialize or not – it hasn’t yet and it may or may not but I thought I would take the car anyway.
“Richard, my son, and I will take the Escort and have a fun day down there.”
Despite his competitive nature Allport is competing just for fun – though that will likely change once he enters the first special stage.
“We have been doing a rally a year,” Allport explained. “We went to the Far North last year and had a great time.
“There are no expectations or anything.
“I missed out on doing the Silver Fern down there last year and pretty much the first day of the Silver Fern is the same as what South Canterbury Rally is.
“I am not going to do recce – I will just turn up on the Saturday morning, Richard will read notes and I will just drive what I have given everyone else.”
Allport is one of a number of special entries expected for the fourth round of the championship. A couple of front end contenders are expected to join those already competing in 2018 when entries close tomorrow afternoon.
The 2018 New Zealand Rally Championship is proudly supported by Brian Green Property Group, Gull New Zealand, Dunlop New Zealand, Hella New Zealand and Stadium Finance