NZRC Update: Between the rallies
One week out from the Drivesouth Rally Otago, round two of the Brian Green Property Group New Zealand Rally Championship driven by VINZ, catchup with our summary of all the championship news between events.
- Joining the field for round 2 is the 2012 National Junior champion Matt Jansen. The Canterbury driver will be joined by experienced co-driver Rocky Hudson in the Mitech Welders Subaru Impreza. Also joining the championship in the 4WD category is Balcluthas Rhys Garnder & Ross Moody in a Evo 9 Lancer, whilst fellow South Islanders Darren Galbraith (Evo 6) & the vastly experienced Jeff Judd (ex Greg Graham Subaru) will join the Gull Rally Challenge class.
- The Ralliart NZ Team have been busy in the three weeks since Rally Whangarei repairing the Evo X of Brian Green after its roll in Special Stage 5 at Whangarei. Green and co-driver Fleur Pedersen will be back in action at Otago.
- After missing round one, Andrew Hawkeswood has the Mazda 2 Maxi ready for its NZRC debut at Rally Otago. The Auckland driver will have 5x Champion co-driver Rob Ryan from Palmerston North reading the notes at Otago.
- Another driver with a new co-driver is one of the stars of round one. David Holder will have Ben Hawkins alongside in the ex-Paddon Evo 8 for the remainder of the season. Hawkins previously partnered Ben Jagger in the National Championship in recent years.
- Hyundai World Rally Team driver and current National Rally Champion Hayden Paddon has arrived back in New Zealand to prepare for his drive in the Otago Classic Rally in the Stadium Motorsport BDA Escort. Paddon will have a new co-driver on-board for the event, with Hamilton’s Malcolm Read calling the notes, as they take on 1994 World Champion “The Flying Frenchman” Didier Auriol, and former Australian champion Neal Bates. Leading NZRC Classic competitor Marcus Van Klink will lead the local competition for the classic rally.